Recipes and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Assisted by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Sweetcorn, coconut and turmeric soup with paprika-fried prawnsPrint Recipe
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 10ml (2 tsp) thyme leaves
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 700g frozen sweetcorn kernels +extra (defrosted), to garnish
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable/chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- drizzle olive oil
- 400g prawns, deveined and shelled
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) Spanish smoked paprika
- salt, to taste
- basil leaves, to serve
For the soup, heat the 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme, and sauté until the onion is soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the turmeric, coconut milk, sweetcorn kernels and stock, and bring to a boil, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, blitz until smooth, taste and season accordingly.
Prepare the paprika-fried prawns just before serving. Add a drizzle olive oil to a frying pan and heat over high heat. Once the pan is hot, fry the prawns until pink and just cooked through. Sprinkle over the paprika and season with salt to taste.
Serve the soup warm in bowls, topped with the prawns, basil leaves and scatter over the extra sweetcorn kernels.