When we saw this Yoghurt custard bread trend on TikTok, we decided to put it to the test! We can confirm that it’s an absolute winner: quick, easy and a super delicious better-for-you sweet brekkie treat. The filling tastes so much like baked melktert, it’s actually uncanny!
We tried out three fun flavours ranging from simple to shmancy! Feel free to put your own spin on this recipe and go wild with the toppings. You can even try using flavoured yoghurts!
MAKES 3 / PREP TIME 10 min / COOK TIME 10 min
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup double thick yoghurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch salt
- 3 thick slices white bread
For the milk tart yoghurt custard bread
- ½ tsp cinnamon
For the raspberry yoghurt custard bread
- 2 tsp smooth raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries
For the peanut butter and brûléed banana yoghurt custard bread
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter, heated slightly to melt
- ½ banana, sliced
- 1 tsp castor sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Line a tray with baking paper.
2. Whisk together egg, yoghurt, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
3. Place slices of bread on the prepared baking tray. Using your fingers, press the middle of the bread slices flat to make hollows; fill each hollow with yoghurt filling. Leave one slice of bread plain (this will be used for the milk tart flavour).
4. Dot raspberry jam on the second slice of bread and sprinkle the raspberries on top.
5. For the peanut butter flavour, mix enough hot water into the peanut butter to make a loose sauce – don’t worry if it seizes, just keep mixing and adding water. Drizzle peanut butter over the third slice of bread and swirl using the blade of a paring knife.
6. Bake custard breads in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until bread is golden and crisp and the custard has set but is still slightly wobbly.
7. Leave the raspberry bread as is and sprinkle cinnamon over the plain custard bread. Place slices of banana on the peanut butter bread and sprinkle with castor sugar. Brûlée banana slices using a kitchen blowtorch and drizzle over a little maple syrup to serve. Slice and enjoy!
To see how we made these delicious Yoghurt custard bread recipes, click here (LINK VIDEO)
Made our recipes? Tag us on Instagram @foodandhomesa