Full of zesty flavours, these veggie-packed burgers will delight even the staunchest of carnivores. These cannellini bean and courgette burgers with roasted cashew mayo, pickled beetroot and shaved carrot are irresistible, regardless of diet. If you want to get ahead a little, make your pickled beetroot, burger patties and cashew mayo a day ahead, and simply store in the fridge until you’re ready to serve your burgers. Make an extra batch of the cashew mayo to keep in your fridge (it’ll last about a week) – you’ll want to add it to everything you eat!
Cannellini bean and courgette burgers with roasted cashew mayo, pickled beetroot and shaved carrot
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegan green pesto (like Green Mamba Coriander & Jalapeno Pesto – available at faithful-to-nature.co.za)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 500g courgettes, finely grated and squeezed to remove excess water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to fry
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 beetroots
- 80ml white malt vinegar
- 50g sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) cumin seeds
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) coriander seeds
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) fennel seeds
- 100g roasted and salted cashews, soaked for 10 minutes in boiling water and water discarded
- 90ml water
- 80ml olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 10ml (2 tsp) white vinegar
- 3 vegan burger buns, sliced in half and toasted
- lettuce leaves
- carrot ribbons, tossed in a little olive oil
- micro basil leaves
For the burger patties, add all of the ingredients, except the courgettes, seasoning, olive oil and lemon, to a blender. Blitz until smooth, then stir through the grated courgettes. Taste the mixture and season, if needed.
Carefully shape the mixture into 3 large patties the size of your vegan burger buns, compacting the mixture as you go. Place on a lined tray and refrigerate to firm up, at least 30 minutes.
While the burger patties chill, make the pickled beetroot by adding the beetroots to a pot of water. Bring to a boil, about 20 minutes, until the beetroots are tender. Remove from boiling water and rinse under cold water, before scraping off the skins. Slice the beetroots into thin discs.
Combine the remaining pickling ingredients in a small pot and bring the pickling mixture to a boil. Add the beetroot discs and simmer, 5 minutes, before removing from heat. Chill the beetroot discs in the pickling liquid until needed.
For the vegan cashew mayo, combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blitz until a mayonnaise consistency remains. Season to taste and set aside until needed.
Just before serving, heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the burger patties in batches (handle them gently as they are fairly fragile), 5 minutes per side. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to each vegan burger patty.
To assemble the burgers, spread a generous dollop of cashew mayo over the base of each burger bun. Top with lettuce, a burger patty, pickled beetroot discs, carrot ribbons and micro basil leaves before popping the “lid” on the burger and enjoying.