Brunch is the new social “meet and eat” occasion and these chai latte pecan granola parfaits are perfect for make-ahead entertaining. Not only do they taste amazing, they’re also gluten-free and lacto-vegetarian friendly!
Recipe, styling and photographs by Dianne Bibby
Chai-latté pecan granola parfaits
- 3 chai teabags
- 45ml (3 tbsp) boiling water
- 30ml (2 tbsp) low-fat milk
- 60ml (4 tbsp) canola oil
- 50g honey
- 45ml (3 tbsp) xylitol
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla paste
- 750ml (3 cups) whole rolled oats
- 7,5ml (1½ tsp) ground ginger
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 250ml (1 cup) raw pecan nuts
- 60ml (4 tbsp) desiccated coconut
- 60ml (4 tbsp) flaked almonds
- 45ml (3 tbsp) sesame seeds
- 125ml (½ cup) dried blueberries
- 500ml (2 cups) fresh blueberries
- 15ml (1 tbsp) xylitol
- 30ml (2 tbsp) water
- 750ml (3 cups) low-fat natural or unsweetened yoghurt
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract/paste
- 500ml (2 cups) fresh mixed summer berries, to garnish
For the chai granola, preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
Steep the chai teabags in the boiling water, 10 minutes. Squeeze the teabags out to extract as much flavour as possible, add the milk and discard the bags. Add the oil, honey, the 45ml (3 tbsp) xylitol and the vanilla paste to the chai tea.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, ginger, cinnamon, pecan nuts, coconut, almonds and sesame seeds. Add the chai tea to the oat mixture and
incorporate well to coat. Tip the oat mixture onto the baking sheet and bake, 25 – 30 minutes, turning the granola over at least 3 times during baking.
Remove from oven and mix through the dried blueberries. Set aside to cool completely.
To make the blueberry compôte, place all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, until the berries are broken down and sticky. Set aside to cool.
For the parfaits, combine the yoghurt and vanilla extract/paste. Layer 45ml (3 tbsp) granola in parfait glasses, top with the yoghurt mixture, 30ml (2 tbsp) compôte, followed by a second layer of yoghurt. Finish it off with loads of fresh summer berries.