The classic chicken burger gets a refreshing twist with the white bean and fennel combination – try these chicken burgers with hummus and a fennel, celery and orange slaw on your next burger night!
Chicken burgers with hummus and a fennel, celery and orange slaw
- 240g tinned butter beans, drained
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) crushed garlic
- 5ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) ground cumin
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) ground coriander
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 celery stalk
- ice water
- 1 fennel bulb (white part only), sliced paper-thin with a mandoline
- 170ml ( cup) grated carrot
- juice of 2 oranges
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented and chopped
- 4 deboned and skinless chicken breasts
- oil, for frying
- 4 burger rolls
- salad leaves, to serve
- chips or salad, to serve
For the hummus, place the butter beans, garlic, lemon juice, cumin and ground coriander in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add the oil and blend to combine. Stir in the fresh coriander and season.
Use a vegetable peeler to slice ribbons off the celery stalk. Place the ribbons in ice water for 10 minutes. This causes them to curl up and form celery curls.
Combine the celery curls, fennel, carrot, orange juice and chopped orange, and season with a little black pepper. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
Heat a griddle pan until hot. Brush the chicken breasts with oil and season lightly. Fry until cooked, 8 – 10 minutes.
Make the burgers by slicing the rolls in half and spreading with hummus. Add salad leaves, chicken breast and slaw.
Serve with chips or salad on the side.
Toast the buns in a dry pan on the sliced sides. This adds a layer of texture and flavour, and makes the burger less soggy from the filling.