A comforting and delicious home-cooked dinner, perfect for a family of four.
Recipe and styling by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Spanish-style chicken casserole
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to fry
- ± 210g chorizo, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 410g tin peeled and diced tomatoes
- 100g pitted green olives, drained
- 180g Kalamata-style olives, drained
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- large pinch saffron threads chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl and sprinkle with the paprika, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss until coated well. Set aside until needed.
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pot over high heat. In batches, brown the chicken thighs, skin side down first, until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
Using the same pot, fry the chorizo over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a plate, turn the heat to low, then sauté the garlic and onion in the pot until the onion is soft and translucent, 3 – 4 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, chicken thighs, chorizo and olives. Mix until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
Combine the chicken stock and saffron threads in a jug. Set aside to infuse for about 5 minutes, then pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the pot with the chicken. Return the pot to the stove and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.