This Parmesan and polenta schnitzel is ready in 30 minutes. It’s the perfect quick and easy dinner for the whole family.
Recipe by Taryne Jakobi
Photograph by Vanessa Lewis
Parmesan and polenta schnitzel on sweetcorn purée
- 6 large chicken breast fillets
- 250ml (1 cup) dried breadcrumbs
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mixed dried herbs
- 125ml (½ cup) fine polenta
- 60ml (¼ cup) Parmesan, grated
- 60g (½ cup) seasoned cake flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- oil for shallow frying
- 15ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 large sweetcorn, steamed and cut off the cob
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Using a rolling pin or mallet, flatten the chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper.
Mix the breadcrumbs, herbs, polenta and Parmesan together.
Crumb the chicken by first dusting with the seasoned flour, then dipping in the egg, and finally pat with the breadcrumb mixture.
Shallow-fry the schnitzels in oil over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 – 8 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel and keep warm until all of the schnitzels are done.
For the purée, heat the oil in a pan and sauté the garlic for 1 minute, then add the sweetcorn and cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat, season and blend until smooth. Serve the schnitzel with the sweetcorn purée.