TO DRINK: Elgin Vintners Rosé 2008, which will add even more complex flavours to this dish.
Spanish chicken stewPrint Recipe
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 8 chicken pieces (thighs
- and drumsticks)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 125g chorizo sausage, sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) white wine
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 100ml chicken stock
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 200g black olives, pitted
- couscous or polenta, to serve
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the chicken pieces in batches until golden brown. Season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Remove from the saucepan and set aside.
In the same saucepan, fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the chorizo and fry for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the wine, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves and stock. Return the chicken to the pot, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the potatoes and cook for a further 30 minutes over low heat.
Stir through the olives and serve with soft polenta or couscous.